Thursday, April 6, 2017

One Proud Penny by: Randy Siegel

As an elementary school librarian I'm always searching for non-fiction read aloud picture books.  I've discovered a great one written by Randy Siegel and illustrated by Serge Bloch in the book One Proud Penny.

This penny was born in 1983 beginning his life just like all the other pennies in Philadelphia.  He gives the reader facts on how he was made and fills us in on his United States travels and troubles.  He spent one winter on the floor in Wisconsin, I cannot even imagine how cold he must have been!  We learn that you can buy things with him as well as spin and flip him.  When he gets placed in a jar filled with other pennies he doesn't get depressed he thinks of his favorite President.  I will let you read the book to find out who his favorite President is and if he ever gets out of that jar!

I enjoyed sharing this with my students and it now has a long list of students wanting their own turn reading it.  I am sure you and your children will enjoy this wonderful picture book.

After reading this book search your pennies for one that was born in 1983.

Happy Daily Reading
Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment