Friday, June 24, 2016

Hilo The Boy Who Crashed to Earth by: Judd Winick

I think that author Judd Winick has written and illustrated a new favorite comic book style book with Hilo The Boy Who Crashed To Earth.

I am going to be honest as I'm not usually a big fan of the "comic book" stories that are so popular right now.  However, after reading this book I will probably be looking for and reading more of these. I LOVED this story and I think it could only be told in this format.

Hilo literally crashes on earth and meets D.J. who becomes Hilo's first friend.  D.J. has a family of talented siblings and busy parents.  D.J. believes he has no talents but I know he does and it is an important talent, being a friend.  D.J. helps Hilo as Hilo tries to remember who he is and where he is from.  Since Hilo arrives in just his underwear the first thing D.J. does is get him some clothes.  Hilo isn't sure about the clothes but at least he isn't going to school in his underwear!  Gina, D.J.'s childhood friend has moved back to town, also becomes Hilo's friend.  She is the one who believes that he really did crash into earth.  Most of the others in the story don't believe this.  Gina sees Hilo's powers and learns his secrets and is soon helping D.J. and Hilo fight robot bugs.  That is right, robot bugs!  Where exactly is Hilo from?  Are the bugs really looking for him?  Will more people or bugs be crashing into earth?  Hilo helps D.J. and Gina as much as they help him, that is what true friends do for each other, in my opinion.

This is a story about being a friend and being there no matter what for your friend.  I think it is a story that should be shared with all ages and I know your child will love reading and/or hearing this story over and over again.  Be on the lookout for book #2 in the series.

After reading this story spend sometime with a few of your friends.

Happy Daily Reading
Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment